German style pork hock.
Know how to cook German pork hock with creamy mashed potatoes.
Pork hock is a traditional German dish. In German, it has many names, depending on the region and the way of cooking. Originally pork hock is considered a Berlin dish. Meat has a very soft taste, and it needs a long heat treatment. In the north of Germany, the hock is covered with salt and boiled (eisbein). In the southern part of Germany, meat is baked in the oven or grill until cooked (Schweinshaxe). Usually hock is served with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. I cooked the hock in two ways: first boiled, then baked in the oven – so it was soft and crispy.
You will need.
For 3 servings:
– 3 raw pork hock
– Salt and pepper
– One onion
– A can of beer (330ml)
– Bay leaf (1-2)
– Fresh thyme, 5 sprigs
For mashed potatoes:
– 6 medium potatoes
– One large carrot
– Butter 40g
– Milk 1 glass
1) Cover the meat with salt and pepper.
2) Put the meat, peeled onion, bay leaves, and thyme into the pan.
3) Fill with beer, add some water to cover the contents.
In an ordinary pan the pork hock is cooked for about 3 hours on low heat. I use a pressure cooker and it only takes 40 minutes.
While the pork is cooking, let’s cook mashed potatoes. I like to add carrots to it.
4) Cut the peeled potatoes and carrots into 3 parts, fill the pan with water and cook until soft for about 20 minutes.
5) When the vegetables become soft, drain some of the water, leave a little. Mix thoroughly with a fork.
6) Warm milk in a microwave. It is necessary to warm milk so the puree becomes soft and airy.
7) Add butter and milk, mix with a mixer until it is homogeneous. If needed, add more milk.
8) Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
9) Put the cooked meat into an oven dish, place the dish in the middle of the oven and cook it for another 30 minutes, until it is crispy brown.
Serve the pork hock and mashed potatoes with sauerkraut and, of course, with an ice cold beer!